20-Inch by 24-Inch Oil Painting On Canvas This is a handmade art reproduction of a Frida Kahlo masterpiece Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress from 1926. This is a remarkable oil painting with exceptional use of color, detail and brush strokes. This is Frida's first self-portrait. It was painted as a gift for her student boyfriend. Given as a token of love with the hope that it would restore his affection and keep her in his thoughts. Her plea for his love worked and not long after he received the portrait, they were together again. The painting shows an influence of European art with her elongation of the hands and neck, but Kahlo began to deny quite obvious European influences such as Surrealism, as she, along with Rivera, became a driving force of the 'Mexicanidad' movement. She began to wear traditional Mexican costume and braids in her hair with ribbon, flowers and jewelery to identify with indigenous Mexican culture. The imagery and colors in many of her paintings also changed to reflect this national pride. Frame Description: Opulent Frame-Dark Stained Wood with Gold Trim.
- Framed painting size (not including frame): Classic 20-Inch by 24-Inch
- Opulent Frame-Dark Stained Wood with Gold Trim
- 100-Percent handmade oil painting on artist grade canvas-certificate of authenticity included
- Framed paintings arrive ready to hang on your wall with hanging hardware included
- Framed Oil reproduction of an original painting by Frida Kahlo
This item is being discussed
Please login to view more discussions